Mobile phone and Electronic Devices
For the purpose of this policy an Electronic Device includes: desktop computers; laptops, iPods, Mp3s, Smartphones, iPads (or any other branded tablet) etc.
As a privilege, not a right, students are allowed to have mobile phones and electronic devices at Bridgetown High School provided they conform to the following restrictions:
- MOBILE PHONES AND IPODS MUST BE SWITCHED OFF AND NOT VISIBLE DURING CLASS TIME – SILENT MODE IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. This includes moving between classes.
- Students can only use their ‘other’ electronic devices for classwork or as otherwise instructed by their teacher.
- Students are solely responsible for the security of their mobile phones and electronic devices and must accept the risk associated with the electronic devices being lost or stolen.
- Students’ electronic devices or phones may be inspected by a teacher AT ANY TIME if it is suspected that the device has been used inappropriately.
If the above restrictions are not adhered to the teacher will confiscate the phone/electronic device and:
The Team Leader will store the mobile phone or electronic device and the student will be issued with a letter explaining the school’s policy. When this letter is signed by a parent and returned to school, the item will be returned to the student.
The Team Leader will store the electronic device and issue the student with a letter explaining the school’s policy and notifying the parent/guardian that they must come to the school to collect the mobile phone or electronic device in person. It will not be returned to the student under any other circumstance.
The Team Leader will store the electronic device and will contact the parent/guardian to advise them that any mobile phone and/or electronic device will be banned for the rest of the school year. A parent/guardian will need to collect the item from the Team Leader. Students who fail to comply with this ban may be suspended.
It is possible for a student to contravene this policy using multiple devices. For example: their mobile phone (first offence); their iPod (second offence); and another student’s mobile phone (third offence). Students do not receive three offences for each device that they may have used inappropriately.
- Students must not use mobile phones or other electronic devices to victimise, harass or threaten other people at any time. This includes via text, private message, and social media.
- Students must not use mobile phones or other electronic devices to hamper staff in the course of their duties.
- Mobile phones and electronic devices must not contain any offensive materials, such as inappropriate music, photos, videos, text, etc.
- Students are not to video or photograph other students or staff without permission.
If the above points are not adhered to, the following will happen:
- The student’s phone/electronic device will be confiscated and the parent/guardian will have to come to the school and collect it;
- The police will be notified where relevant;
- The student will not be able to bring any phone/electronic device to school again; and
- The student may be suspended.
In the case that a mobile phone or electronic device is confiscated the following letter will be issued: